Friday, December 19, 2008

Assignment #2: Emulation





Hiro (real name Yasuhiro Wakabayashi) was a progressive fashion photographer for Harper’s Bazaar during the 1960s and 70s. His photographers are known for their elegance and clean appearance. I was particularly inspired by his use of lighting and shadows, the way he juxtaposed unexpected elements (specifically animals with jewelry), as well as the precise execution of his work. He is also well known for his use of color which I have interpreted as high contrast in the black and white format.
This project allowed me to explore a side of photography which I have stayed very far away from, that of staging and costume. I have always leaned towards documentary or observatory photography and I had to challenge myself to prepare beforehand exactly how I wanted to plan out the shot, what the model should be wearing, and etc. In the end, Hiro’s photographs are striking, dynamic, effortless, and inspiring.

No comments: